Saturday, September 10, 2011

Job Day 4

Today the morning was filled with a great town hall meeting. I have never worked for a retail company before. The town hall meeting was spectacular. It was filled with great videos, promotions, and artwork. It lasted a full 2 hours, but it hardly felt like it. Before, we were served a simple breakfast. After we were given some product to take home. It really made me glad to be working for the company. It also made we want to go out to a store and shake a worker's hand.
In the afternoon, I tried again to see what I could get done for setting up the sandbox. I slowly learned some more about the original project and what was done and requested to be done. I am even less sure now that it will even be done this year. I am going to figure out what the long-term plans are for this system. I am meeting with IBM in 2 weeks to go over Websphere and how that may be used instead or supplement what we are trying to do. If SAP PI is not in the future, I would like to know. I would like to further know my role in the future. I am also interested to know what they think they have in me and my skillset. I have heard many different responses.
Hopefully next week will be more productive. I was told that things move very slowly. This is very surprising for a dynamic company. I also learned that there is a custom application outside of SAP that treats it like a database only. It does direct table updates and even added new tables without going through SAP-provided tools. This has prevented system upgrades and patches. What did I get myself into?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home